Call for Entry
Selections by Arnold J. Kemp
ABOUT THE JUROR:
Arnold J. Kemp is an artist, writer and curator. An echo in his work across these disciplines is the presence of empathy and humor in conceptual strategies to address harder personal and collective realities. In considering the world in which we live, he explains, "I leave room for laughter, as, in our current cultural moment, perhaps that is all we have."
Kemp is the Associate Professor and Chair in the Department of Painting and Printmaking at Virginia Commonwealth University. He has deep roots in the Bay Area having worked as a curator at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts from 1993-2003. Kemp’s work is in the collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Studio Museum in Harlem and Berkeley Art Museum. He was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 2012. He is also the recipient of awards from the Joan Mitchell Foundation and the Pollock-Krasner Foundation.
Participation is open to artists who reside/work within the eleven counties Greater Bay Area, defined as the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Benito, San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Solano and Sonoma. Current membership (through end of exhibition) is required for entry. Membership is open to all. Artists can join/renew membership at time of online registration.
Submit entries online. Work in all media accepted.
Video, performance, internet, and sound-based work are considered via the submission of website URLs online only. Insert URL into the 'media' field of online system.
Digital Images: Image files should be jpgs. For best results images should be sized to approximately 600 x 800 pixels, RGB color mode, and at a resolution of 72 dpi.
$25 basic entry fee + any additional submission fees + applicable membership. Basic entry fee is $25 and includes up to 3 image submissions, additional submissions are $5 each. Eight (8) submission max per artist. No refunds.
Pro Arts offers volunteer waivers for current members only. Please fill out the Online Volunteer Intake Form and send it to Pro Arts no later than Friday, September 27, 2013. Volunteer Intake Form
Deadine for Submissions: Friday, October 11, 2013, midnight Selected Artists Notified: Friday, November 1, 2013 Artwork Drop-Off: Saturday, November 16, 2013 Exhibition Dates: November 26, 2013 - January 10, 2014 Artists' Reception: Friday, December 6, 2013, 6-8pm Artists' Talk: Friday, January 3, 2014, 6.30pm Artwork Pick-Up: Saturday, January 11, 2014
Images: (top) Rebekah Goldstein, Hot Thing (Detail), 2012; (above l-r) Dis/Order: Juried Annual 2013; Amy Ahlstrom, The End, 2011; Dis/Order, 2013
1. Entry does not guarantee inclusion in the exhibition.
2. Selected works must be dropped off at Pro Arts during scheduled drop off dates and must include any specialized hardware necessary for installation. Artist agrees that all work performed at Pro Arts will be performed with the care and skill ordinarily exercised by members of the profession practicing under similar conditions at a similar locality.
3. Pro Arts shall insure selected artwork against loss for duration of exhibition. Pro Arts limits liability for handling, installation, exhibition and de-installation.
4. Sales of work in the exhibition are encouraged. Artists receive 60% of the sale price for all work sold.
5. If artwork is damaged or unsuitable for display, it will be removed from the exhibition.
6. Artworks exhibited at Pro Arts are covered by Creative Commons license "Attribution, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives". Gallery visitors may take photographs of artworks with the stipulation that images are clearly credited to the creating artist and exhibition at Pro Arts; images may not be used commercially; and may not be changed, remixed, or modified in any way. Artist agrees to allow Pro Arts to photograph and reproduce images of artworks for publicity and educational purposes.
7. All unsold artworks must be picked up on the schedule day of de-installation. Anyone claiming artworks on behalf of the artist must make special arrangements with the gallery.